Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dibba Trip - Cameron's review

Oman Trip

I really enjoyed our Absolute Adventure. It was the best residential trip that I have ever been on.

I was very excited as soon as we got on the bus and I was sitting next to Tom T on the way. When we arrived at the camp we had lunch and then got ready for our first activity. I was in Mr Watson's shark group and we were doing sea kayaking. We walked down to the beach and we all got a partner. Mine was Joe and he was in the front and I was in the back. We were quite good at it but once we got stuck in the rocks and had to get pulled out. Then we went on the beach and played some fun games. The best bit was when we all tried to throw Mr Watson in the water. Also we had a competition who could find the coolest shell which Joe won and we learnt what to do if we capsized. Then we went back to the camp and had showers before dinner because we were very dirty. After dinner we had some free time and then went to our tents to get ready for bed. I was in a tent with Harry H, Tom T and Matty. It was a great first day.

In the morning we had breakfast and then got ready for our second activity. My group were doing mountain biking. First we rode to a large open space where there were 3 jumps which were small, medium and large sized. We got taught how to get in the air over the jumps and I managed to do it. Then we played the circle of doom. We played it 3 times and on the last time I won. Then we had a race where the last person to cross the finish line was the winner. It was really hard to stay balanced. After that we rode down a road to a large rock to see some ancient carvings. On our way back to camp, I was overtaking Harry H and I accidentally fell on him. We both had lots of cuts, scrapes, and bruises but mine were the worst so everyone including Harry H cycled back to the camp and I got plasters put on me before getting a lift back to the camp. When we got back to the camp we had lunch.

In the afternoon we did trekking which was amazing. We had camelbaks which are these rucksacks that hold 3 liters of water in them. They have a little suction pipe coming out so that you can have a drink of water when you want it. We walked to a wadi and then we went up it. It was a very rocky ground. At the top of the wadi we learnt the 7 steps of "leave no trace." Then we trekked up a mountain which had an awesome view at the top. We saw some old villages where some people still live and we could see one of the other groups kayaking on the beach below. When we got to the bottom of the mountain we played some games on the beach. On the way back we made up a theme song for our group. After dinner we had a competition in our groups. There was a trivia question and a physical challenge. Then We went to bed.

In the morning I got woken up by a loud cockerel. When breakfast was over the sharks headed of to rock climbing. I was really looking forward to it because it was on a real mountain. When we got there we put our harnesses and helmets on but then it sta rted to rain so we had to go back to the camp. At the camp we did some trust and team games instead which were fun. Also Mr Watson showed us Aboriginal numbers. When the other groups came back we had lunch.

In the afternoon we did orienteering and my partner was Anna. I learnt to use a compass. We had to find flags by following bearings and at some of the flags there were challenges. Half way through Mr Watson got a call that he had to go back to Dubai because the twins were coming early. Later that night we had a talent show and I did a rap called tropical mice along with lots of other people. I thought Joe was an amazing singer And that George was very funny.

The next morning we all had a dhow cruise. There was one big dhow and one slightly smaller one. I was on The smaller one. It was very wavy and people were crying and being sick. The Boat almost went vertical at one point. I was sitting next to Joe. Then we stopped and we could go in the sea an d have a swim. Miss Bates jumped off the top of the boat! Next we went back to the camp and the waves weren't as big on the way back. Back at the camp we finished off packing and then got on the bus to go home. I was sitting next to Ethan. When the bus pulled into school we could see all of the mums waving.

Overall I would give the trip to Oman 11/10!

No comments: