Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tom goes round the Burj!

Round the Burj al Arab swim
On Friday 13th November 2010 (-11-17) I swam round the Burj. First of all we (Me and my mum and (spectators) Dad, my brother, Aunt and uncle  ) went to Wild Wadi to register or something and get our swim hat; mine was blue because in the competitive race all men or boys had to have blue swim hat and all the women or girls had to wear red swim hats. Once we had signed in we went through the Burj gates onto the beach where the race would start on the way I started to read the safety stuff, in it there were really encouraging things like:
·        Warning, do not swim to close the burj itself because there may be sea urchins or other wild life.
·        If you need help STAY CALM and wave your arm in the air.
After warm up I was in pre-race mode as you can see in the picture of me sat down.
“PEEP” there goes the whistle I was away, off to a flying start; I stayed at a pretty fast pace all the way through the race. At the end of the race you had to stop swimming and sprint to the finish which was very tiring as you might be after a kilometre swim.
Me at the finish!
Over all I came 16th out of 80 swimmers in the 0-20 years category and out of everyone I came 82nd out of about 480 swimmers. My time was 12mins 20 seconds when most people have a time of about 18 minutes.    

No comments: