Sunday, January 2, 2011

Harry H the scientist - the big experiment

Dear Mr Watson & year 6

I decided to try out one of my Christmas presents today, it's called Enviro Battery. The aim of the experiment was to make a fork act like a battery. This is what happened.

What I needed
1. 2 zinc plates
2. An LCD clock
3. Sticky tape
4.Connection wire
5. Two forks
6. One lemon cut into two

What I did
1. Firstly I connected one end of the red wire to one of the forks using the sticky tape to secure the connection.
2. Then, I connected the black wire to the to one of the zinc plates.
3. Using another fork and zinc plate I connected them with some wire to make a connection pair.
4. To activate the clock I inserted all the metals into the lemon.

What happened.
First of all it didn't work because the forks I used had plastic handles and as I connected the wires to the plastic nothing happened. When I tried again I used the metal prongs and then the clock switched on! This showed me that electricity cannot travel through plastic, but it does travel through metal. I had a lot of fun and learnt something new.

Happy New Year.
Harry

1 comment:

Sara said...

This is a really interesting experiment to do Harry, try it on apple's or potatoes they work aswell : )